Monday, December 3, 2018

My Genius Hour Classroom Plan


Getting Started

Name: Abigail Cherry
Short Bio:
3rd Grade Classroom, 28 students, Genius Hour is the last hour of the day
Grade Level/Subject: 3rd Grade Genius Hour

Inquiry

Create a mini lesson plan for how you will introduce inquiry and select their Genius Hour question.-


-Show this video about Genius Hour “Inquiry” to students to start a discussion on interests the students may want to learn about.  https://youtu.be/COF-bqZuE-I
-Have students make a “Top 10” list of things they would like to learn. 
-Have students share one thing from their list for a classroom wall/bulletin board of Genius Hour research topics for those who need extra help.



If you were doing your own Genius Hour project… What would your Genius Hour question be?
“How can I reduce my personal use of plastic?”


Research

Create your mini lesson plan on how you intend to teach research and what databases and other resources your students will use. Be sure to include how you will hold students accountable for research during this time.
 -Introduce research by showing this video from 2:03-2:37, https://youtu.be/FEQzKH7v0-Q.
-Brainstorm a list of resources in the classroom, at school, at home that students have access to.  Add this list to the Genius Hour bulletin board.







How will you be checking in on your student's’ progress? What will your daily/weekly exit ticket ask of your students?

-Explain to students that each day they will be filling out an “Exit Ticket” so that I can help keep track of the process.  Each student will also have one day a week where he or she checks in with me face to face about the progress on their project. The rubric will also be hung on the Genius Hour classroom bulletin board.
Name:_______________________________                                   Date:____________________
Genius Hour Check In
Color in How Many Minutes You Spent on Each Section
Plan
10
20
30
40
50
60
Read
10
20
30
40
50
60
Create
10
20
30
40
50
60

Rate Yourself For the Day on the Class Genius Hour Rubric
1
2
3
4

Summarize today’s work in one sentence:
_________________________________________________________________________________
_________________________________________________________________________________
Make a plan for tomorrow in one sentence:
________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________


******Posted Class Genius Hour Rubric************
Genius Hour Rubric
1
I didn’t work very hard.  I was distracted and distracted my classmates.
2
I didn’t put enough effort into my tasks.  I sometimes was distracted or sometimes distracted my classmates.
3
I worked on my task without distractions and without distracting others.
4
I worked very hard and fully used my time wisely.  I was helpful to others, including my teacher. 









Implementation and Presentations

Make a rubric specifically for your student’s Genius Hour project.


Genius Hour Final Project Rubric
1
I didn’t work very hard.  I was distracted and distracted my classmates. My project lacked a clear answer to my question.
2
I didn’t put enough effort into my tasks.  I sometimes was distracted or sometimes distracted my classmates. My project answered part of my question.
3
I worked on my task without distractions and without distracting others. My project answered most of my question.
4
I worked very hard and fully used my time wisely.  I was helpful to others, including my teacher.  My project answered my question to the best of my ability. 








Community Sharing

Describe how your students will share their Genius Hour projects. Be sure to take your school/district’s social media and privacy guidelines into account.
-Show this video on ideas of how to share and present Genius Hour projects. https://youtu.be/1MVR9qc21nA
-Share Genius Hour projects with invited family and friends via the classroom blog that is password protected and only for those invited.  https://cherrygeniushour.blogspot.com/



In addition to sharing your Genius Hour project in our discussion, share your project one other way. You may use social media, email, website, blog, or sharing with colleagues. Describe your experience below.
-I shared my Genius Hour Unit Plan on my classroom Genius Hour blog.  This will motivate me to actually put up classroom projects on here which will be much more exciting than the lesson plan. 


No comments:

Post a Comment